As a kid, you were probably told to take your vitamins in order to be healthy. But you probably didn’t know exactly why. The House of Nutrition is the best vitamin and supplement store inn Poughkeepsie. We offer the best brands of vitamin supplements for all of your needs. In this blog post, we’ll return to the basics of what exactly is a vitamin and why you need them. Contact us today!
WHAT IS A VITAMIN?
Vitamins are organic compounds that our bodies need in order to perform certain processes in the body. Most of the vitamins we need are available in the food that we eat. Below are some fun facts about vitamins.
- There are only 13 known vitamins that our bodies need.
- There are two kinds of vitamins: water-soluble and fat-soluble. As the names imply, fat-soluble vitamins are stored in your body’s fat cells. Fat-soluble vitamins are dissolved in fat and include Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Water-soluble vitamins are dissolved in water and cannot be stored in the body and are thus processed very quickly. As a result, you must replenish these vitamins regularly. Some of these water-soluble vitamins are vitamin C and B.
- Fat-soluble vitamins are the preferred kind because our body can more easily use this type of vitamin.
- The reason vitamins are called organic is because they all contain the organic compound, carbon.
- If you do not get the vitamins you need from the food you eat, vitamin supplements, such as those supplied by the House of Nutrition, are recommended.
WHY DO YOU NEED VITAMINS?
Vitamins are needed in certain metabolic processes, cell function, and growth. If you body does not get the vitamins it needs (known as vitamin deficiencies), certain medical conditions can result. Each vitamin is necessary for your health and performs a different function in the body. Some important vitamins include:
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for the growth and health of your body’s tissues, as well as aiding in the repair process. It also acts as an antioxidant, helping to fight off damaging free radicals that can harm your body. The House of Nutrition in Poughkeepsie sells vitamin C all-natural supplements so you don’t miss out on this important vitamin.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is important for bone health. If you get enough sunlight, your body will produce enough of this essential vitamin; however, during the winter months, this can be a challenge. With strong bones comes the resistance to bone disease, some cancers, and heart disease, as well as the staving off of osteoporosis and other bone conditions. Our vitamin supplement store sells vitamin D supplements.
The House of Nutrition in Poughkeepsie is a vitamin supplement store that specializes in helping you get the vitamins you need to stay healthy. Our on-staff nutrition expert can help answer any of your dietary and supplement questions and point you in the right direction. When choosing natural supplements, it’s important to ensure you have the right information since taking too many vitamins can be a detriment to your health. Contact us today to learn more!